Do You Qualify For A Florida Homestead Exemption
If you are a Florida resident you ae entitled to a Florida Homestead Exemption of up to $50,000 from the assessed value, i.e. if your home is assessed at $200,000 it would be taxed at $150,000. To qualify for your Florida Homestead Exemption you must be a permanent resident as of January 1st in the year in which you apply. You are only allowed one Homestead Exemption which means that you will not be legally entitled to receive the exemption if your or your spouse are receiving an exemption in another state. This includes veterans and senior citizen exemptions.
When and Where to File for Your Florida Homestead Exemption:
New applications for Homestead Exemption for the current year must be made in person prior to March 1st at the Property Appraiser’s office.
• Main Office: Open Mon-Fri 8-5, 3950 Radio Rd., Naples, FL 34104, (239) 252-814
• Orange Blossom Office: Open Mon-Fri 9-6, 2335 Orange Blossom Dr., Naples, FL 34109, (239) 252-4444
• Golden Gate City Office: Open Mon-Fri 9-1, 2-6 , 4715 Golden Gate Pkwy, Naples, FL 34116, (239) 348-0246
What is required?
• Evidence of ownership (deed, tax receipt, etc.)
• Social Security numbers for all applicants and spouses
• Collier County Voter Registration (if you vote) dated prior to January 1st
• Florida Driver License dated prior to January 1st
• Florida Vehicle Registration dated prior to January 1st
• Optional: Declaration of Domicile filed with the Clerk of the Circuit Court prior to January 1st of the year of application.
Additional information may be necessary:
• If not a U.S. citizen, a resident alien “green” card.
• If your property is held in trust, a complete copy of the trust agreement.
• If you or your spouse benefitted from a residency based exemption on an out of state property, a document from that government office stating the exemption has been removed will be required.
For more information about the Florida Homestead Exemption please visit the Collier County Property Appraiser’s Office Web Site.